Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Mike Watt & Letter To The Screamers

I contacted bassist Mike Watt through his website (www.hootpage.com) after discovering that he is the former brother-in-law of Paul Roessler, keyboardist on the Fender Rhodes for the Screamers (1978-81), through past marriage to Kira Roessler, bassist in Black Flag (1984-86) and in the duo Dos with Watt since 1986.

• • •

This is a copy of the letter I am forwarding whenever possible to people who might have contact with former members of the Screamers:

Dear Screamers,
While rooting around in some archives in Toronto, I came across materials from the Center for Experimental Art and Communication (Toronto, 1973-78). CEAC, you might recall, hosted some of the first punk concerts in Canada under the banner "Crash & Burn". Documents from the Crash & Burn events include show posters, photos and a small collection of audio recordings. One of these recordings is a Screamers demo tape. Apparently someone associated with the band or in the band itself submitted the demo to possibly play Crash & Burn in '77 or '78 (?).
I was able to get a copy of the recording and I've brought it with me to L.A. It consists of "Peer Pressure", "Eva Braun" and "Punish or Be Damned". All great versions, though a little muddy. To improve this, I've remastered the audio to hopefully capture the energy and intensity of your music. These are rare demos, I believe, as they're not on the Xeroid Records Screamers compilation, which seems to hold claim to being authoritative.
My reason for being in L.A. (I live in Halifax, NS, Canada) is to hopefully find all the former members of the Screamers in order to give you copies of this recording.
As strange as it sounds, giving "gifts" like this is the core of my art practice. For me, the application of a gift economy counteracts the state of hyper-commodification the art world is currently in. Although this is an "art" project, it isn't "candid camera" or "punk'd" or any crap like that. In no way do I want to visually document my personally giving you the recording: that would be a double-edged gift, wouldn't you say? The condensed version of my ethos and approach is the following:

"Two activities are central to my art practice: research and gift-giving. Through loose research within archives, private collections, libraries and other sites, I am interested in recovering lost histories found in the form of overlooked objects or information. My primary objective is to return this material to the individuals and communities that have direct interest in the subject matter. The material I exhibit in art spaces is the documentation and residue from the processes of research and gift preparation."


I hope this is clear but if you have any questions, please ask! I would be grateful if you could let me know your whereabouts so I can bring you the recording. I am in L.A. until the end of August.

Looking forward to meeting you soon,
Craig Leonard

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

this is quite interesting. I would like to hear these precious recordings. {I was once in a band called eva braun).

http://renoohcs-schooner.blogspot.com/